Specialist: Biochemistry & Nutrition
Click here to edit subtitle
Resume for Victor J. Temple
Click HERE to download a copy of my updated CV
Academic Qualifications: V. J. Temple, M.Sc., Ph.D., C. Biol., MSB (M.I. Biol)
Ph.D. (Biochemistry/ Enzymology);
M. Sc. (Biochemistry)
Expert in the use of laboratory analytical techniques such as: PCR, HPLC, EIA, AAS, ICP-MS, etc. Successfully completed several high quality research funded projects in Nutrition (with emphasis on Micronutrients), Endocrinology, Drug Discovery and Toxicology. Taught Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Aspects of Nutrition, and also supervised undergradute and postgraduate research projects in universities in Africa, Europe and the South Pacific.
Expert in the didactic and problem based learning curricula. Always read to grasp the opportunity to share my passion for science and to work towards ensuring the optimal success of my students and colleagues.
Member of the Institute of Biology, London, England.
Chartered Biologist of the Institute of Biology, London, England
Member of the Medical Association of Papua New Guinea
Member Papua New Guinea Biodiversity Network
Member, Biochemical Society of Nigeria
Member, Science Association of Nigeria
Member, Nigerian Institute of Biology
Micronutrients (Vitamins and Trace elements), Maternal and Child Nutrition, Toxicology and drug discovery.
My research focus in the new decade is on food security in resource limited countries, with particular emphasis on maternal and child nutrition. I am particularly interested in issues related to the accessibility, affordability and stability of adequate supply of micronutrients and macronutrients to infant and mothers and also to people living with HIV/AIDS in resource limited countries. I am also involved in applied molecular genetics with special interest in genetic fingerprinting and vaccine production.
December 1998 to Date:
University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG), School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS), Division of Basic Medical Sciences (BMS), Discipline of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology:
Major duties involved teaching and research. Teaching Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Nutrition to Medical, Dental, Pharmacy and Medical Laboratory Sciences Students.
- Associate Professor in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: Nov 2008 to date
- Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: Dec 1998 to Oct 2008
- Head, Discipline of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: Jan 1999 to Dec 2000
- Head, Discipline of Medical Laboratory Technology: Jan 2001 to Dec 2001
- Head, Discipline of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Jan 2002 ? to Dec 2009
- Chairman, Division of Basic Medical Sciences (BMS): Jan 2003 ? to Dec 2009
- The division of BMS is made up of Four major disciplines: Discipline of Anatomy, Discipline of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Discipline of Physiology and Discipline of Pharmacology
- Acting Executive Dean SMHS UPNG: September to December 2008
- Chairman, University of PNG Examination Board, Oct 2012 to date
- Actively participating in administration and governance in the SMHS and the UPNG: See academic portfolio and CV for details.
Medical Academy of Latvia, Riga, Latvia:
- Associate Professor in the Department of Medical Biochemistry
- Taught Clinical Biochemistry to Medical Students
April to August 1997:
University of Sierra Leone, College of Medicine & Allied Health Sciences, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa
- Associate Professor and Head of Biochemistry
- Coordinated academic programs in Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry
- Represented the Faculty in the College Council
- Taught major courses in Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry
January 1982 to December 1996:
University of Jos, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Department of Biochemistry, Plateau State, Nigeria:
Lecturer (January 1982 to Aug 1988), Senior Lecturer (Sept 1988 to Aug 1993), Associate Professor (Sept 1993 to Dec 1996)
- Lectures, tutorials and experimental designs for undergraduate medical, health sciences and Medical laboratory technology students
- Lectures, tutorials and supervision of research projects for Postgraduate Students (M. Sc., M. Phil. and Ph.D. programs in Biochemistry)
- Sub-Dean Pre-clinical Departments, Faculty of Med. Sci., Uni of Jos, 1992 to 1995
- Chairman Health and Nutrition Resource Group Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos Plateau State Nigeria: September 1990 to December 1996.
- Chief Editor of Health and Nutrition Resource Bulletin, 1991 to 1996.
- Member of several committees (see CV for details)
Oct 1980 to Dec 1981:
Sierra Leone General Hospital (Connaught Hospital) Freetown, Sierra Leone:
- Senior Biochemist in the Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory Section:
- Duties included supervision of routine clinical biochemistry analyses, interpretation and write up of analytical reports. Represented the Clinical Laboratory unit in all Clinical meetings, Mortality meetings and Grand Rounds.
- University of Sierra Leone Fourah Bay College, Department of Organic and Natural Product Chemistry:
- Part-Time Lecturer and Demonstrator in Natural Product Chemistry
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES IN SMHS UPNG & Others:
- Coordinator and Principal researcher: Iodine Deficiency Disorder (IDD) Research Project: June 2002 to date. This is a multidisciplinary research project that involves colleagues from the Disciplines of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, O & G, Pharmacology, Physiology, Pathology, Medicine, Paediatrics, and Public Health.
- IDD program manager: Micronutrient Research Laboratory SMHS UPNG.
- Principal investigator Micronutrient Research Group SMHS UPNG: September 2003 to date. This group has succeeded in setting up the first Micronutrient Research Laboratory (MRL) in SMHS UPNG. The MRL is a registered member of the Ensuring the Quality of Iodine Procedure (EQUIP) program in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Atlanta Georgia USA. The MRL is also a member of the International Iodine Network. The MRL is currently involved in research project involving four micronutrients: Zinc, Iron, Plasma Retinol (Vitamin A) and Thiamine (Vitamin B-1).
- Member (in charge of laboratory matters), National Nutrition Task Force: Major functions included planning, implementation and coordination of the First Nation Micronutrient Survey in Papua New Guinea (PNG) in 2005. This project was in collaboration with CDC, UNICEF, WHO, PNG National Department of Health and SMHS UPNG
- Co-ordinator of all laboratory issues involving Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) Fortified Salt as a Strategy for the Control and Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis (LF) in various provinces in PNG (This is a WHO funded project)
- Member, PNG Food Fortification Inspection and Monitoring Committee: 2007 to date
- Chairman, PNG Food Fortification Technical Committee: A sub-committee of the PNG Food Sanitation Council, NDOH: 2007 to 2010
- Member task force: Training in Human Nutrition and Dietetics, National Health Services Standard Division, NDOH PNG: 2010 to date
- Successfully completed several funded research projects (See CV for details)
- Participated in several scientific meetings, workshops and conferences (See CV for details).
Published several chapters in three separate books and over 55 scientific papers in a wide range of peer reviewed journals (for details of publications see attached CV): Below is a list of some major publications in the last five years.
- ?A Practical Manual in Biochemistry & Clinical Biochemistry?: 4th Edition; Edited by: Victor J. Temple, Rachael Rowe, Nigani Willie and Samson Grant. (ISBN: 978 ? 9980 ? 84 ? 919 ? 9); Published by UPNG Press and Uni-Bookshop, 2013; P.O. Box 413, University PO, UPNG Campus, Waigani, NCD, Port Moresby,
- Biochemistry Revision: Questions & Answers Approach: Ed. Victor J. Temple, 2010, UPNG Publishers, Port Moresby, PNG.
- ?Biochemistry 1001: Review and Viva Voce Questions and Answers Approach?: Victor J. Temple (ISBN: 978 ? 9980 ? 86 ? 960 ? 9, Sterling Publishers Private Limited, 2012, New Delhi-110 ? 020.
- ?A Practical Manual in Biochemistry & Clinical Biochemistry?: 3rd Edition; Edited by: Victor J. Temple, Nigani Willie and Samson Grant. (ISBS: 978 ? 9980 ? 84 ? 919 ? 9, UPNG Publishers, 2012, Port Moresby, PNG)
Victor J Temple, Maryline Waka, Dorea Zangai, Jessica Piel, James L Oken, Teleck Ayove and Sampson Grant: Assessment of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk of Lactating Mothers in Papua New Guinea: Pac. J. Med. Sci. Vol. 17, No. 2, 2017 pp 40-55
Victor J. Temple, Judith Opu, Nigani Willie, John D. Vince, Nakapi Tefuarani and Richard Laki; Zinc status of children aged 12 to 59 months resident in the National Capital District, Papua New Guinea. PNG Med J 2016 Mar-Jun; 59 (1-2): 65-76.
Janny M Goris, Nienke Zomerdijk & Victor J Temple; Nutritional status and dietary diversity of Kamea in Gulf Province, Papua New Guinea; Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition (APJCN), 2017, Vol. 26 (4): 665 ? 670. (doi: 10.6133/apjcn.052016.09 Published online: May 2016, 1 ? 14)
Becky Tsang, VJ. Temple and Karen Codling. ?Field Manual for project: Situation analysis of imported salt and rice into PNG: number and quantity of imports and extent of fortification? Published by Food Fortification Initiative Asia, July 2016
Temple VJ and P. Yearwood; Commentary: ?Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Search for Solutions Continues?. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND), Vol 16, No. 1; March 2016, 1 ? 11.
Victor J Temple, Diana Etep, Nigani Willie, A. B. Amoa and Mary Bagita ?Assessment of zinc status of women resident in the National Capital District, Papua New Guinea?. PNG Medical J. Mar-Dec 2015; 58(1-4): 11 ? 21.
Victor J. Temple and Karen Codling; Papua New Guinea?s Commitment to Universal Salt Iodization pays off. IDD Newsletter: Iodine Global Network; Vol. 43, No. 2, May 2015, p 6 ? 8.
Fayrouz, Ashour, Yaw Addo, Kevin Sullivan, Parmi Suchdev, Zuguo Mel, Victor Temple, Daniel Raiten and Rafael Flores-Ayala; ?Associations between Markers of Inflammation and Hemoglobin Concentration: Implications for Diagnosis of Anemia in Women of Reproductive Age?. The FASEB Journal, Volume 29, No1, Supplement 913.3 April 2015 (Free Abstract only).
Victor J Temple. ?Editorial: Ebola in West Africa: A ?Clarion call? to action to avert a Global Pandemic?. Pac. J. Med. Sci. 2015, Vol. 14, No. 2, 3 ? 8.
- Samantha J. Lomutopa, Christopher Aquame, Nigani Willie and Victor J. Temple. Status of Iodine Nutrition among School-age Children (6 ? 12 years) in Morobe and Eastern Highlands Provinces, Papua New Guinea. Pacific J. Medical Sciences, 2013, Vol. 11, No. 2, 70 ? 87. www.pacjmedsci.com.
- Victor J Temple, Cecily Kaira, John D Vince, Isi H Kevau and Nigani Willie. ?Vitamin A status of pre-school-age children age 6 to 59 months in the National Capital District, Papua New Guinea?. Papua New Guinea Medical Journal Vol. 54, No. 1-2, Mar-June 2011 4 ? 16. [Published June 2013]
- Victor J Temple. ?Letter to the Editor: Response to Commentary on the Guest Editorial ?Hidden Hunger: Is there a weak link? published in AJFAND Volume 12, No. 7, Dec. 2012? African J of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND), April 2013, Vol. 13, No. 2. http://www.ajfand.net/Volume13/No2/lettertoeditor2.html.
- Victor J. Temple. ?Ending Hidden Hunger: Is there a weak link?? Guest Editorial: African Journal of Food, Agricultural, Nutrition and Development (AJFAND), Dec 2012, Vol 12, No. 7, 1 ? 11.
- Naomi Shinoda, Kevin M Sullivan, Katie Tripp, Jürgen G Erhardt, Bridgette MH Haynes, Victor J Temple and Bradley Woodruff ?Relationship between markers of inflammation and anaemia in children of Papua New Guinea?. Journal Public Health Nutrition, 7 October 2012.
- Wali C, Pokris B, Rowe R and VJ Temple. ?Prevalence of Aflatoxin B1 in some Foodstuffs in Papua New Guinea?. Pac. J. Med. Sci. 2012, Vol. 10, No. 2, 36 ? 44.
- Rowe R, Puri W, Temple VJ, Aigeeleng H and S. Grant. "Assessment of Serum Cholinesterase (Pseudocholinesterase) and Dibucaine Number Among Students in the University of Papua New Guinea" Pac. J. Med. Sci. 2010, Vol. 7, No. 2, 50-64. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/.
- Richard Z Hapa and Victor J. Temple. "Status of iodine nutrition among school-age children (6 - 12 years) in Honiara Solomon Islands" Pac J. Med Sci. 2010, Vol 7, No. 1, 21 - 36 http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Jamblyne Pamu, Victor J. Temple, Apeawusu B. Amoa and Samson Grant. "Using thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level in cord blood to assess the iodine status of neonates". Pac J. Med Sci. 2010, Vol 7, No. 1, 52 - 62. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Temu P, Temple VJ, Saweri A and Saweri W. ? Thiamine (Vitamin B-1) Status of Boarding School Students in Southern Region of Papua New Guinea? PNG Medical Journal, 2009 May-June Vol. 52 (1-2), 21-27 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21125987
- Meauri G, Temple VJ and Lauwo JAK. ?Self-Medication Among Students in the University of Papua New Guinea?: IN Addressing National and Global Issues through Scientific Research and Development. Proceeding of the UPNG Internation Conference; Oct 2009, pg 181 - 190.
- Shinoda N, Sullivan K, Tripp K, Erhardt J, Haynes B, Temple VJ. ?Relationship between anemia and biomarkers of inflammation in children? Micronutrients, Health and Development: Evidence-Based programs: Micronutrient Status Methodologies: Beijing China: Abstract TU 57, May 2009, pg 69
- Drammeh B, Schleicher R, Erhardt J, Haynes B, Tripp K, Temple VJ. ?Assessment of vitamin A deficiency in women and children from Papua New Guinea using dried blood spot Retinol-Binding Protein? Micronutrients, Health and Development: Evidence-Based programs: Micronutrient Status Methodologies: Beijing China: Abstract TU 63, May 2009, pg 70
- Tripp K, Woodruff B, Temple VJ., Saweri W, Haynes B, Codling K. ?Iron and vitamin A status in Papua New Guinea: Results of A 2005 National Survey? Micronutrients, Health and Development: Evidence-Based programs: Micronutrient Status Methodologies: Beijing China: Abstract TU 82, May 2009, pg 76.
- Temple VJ, Oge R, Daphne I, Vince JD, Ripa P, Delange F and Eastman CJ. ?Salt Iodization and Iodine Status among Infants and Lactating Mothers in PNG? AJFAND, Vol 9, No. 8, 2009.
- Ijape L and Temple VJ. ?Prevalence and Determinants of Non-Adherence to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy among HIV/AIDS Patients in Heduru Clinic, Port Moresby General Hospital? Pac. J. Med Sci. Vol 6, No. 1, July 2009, 92 ? 102 http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Temple VJ. ?Research questions and its significance? Pac J Med Sci. Vol 6, No. 1, 2009, 11 ? 14.
- Temple VJ. ?Adherence to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART): Is Nutrition an Issue? Pacific J. of Medical Sciences, 2008, Vol. 5, 65 ? 70. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Fabila V, Temple VJ, Linge D, Kevau IH and Ipai L. ?Prevalence of Microalbuminuria in Diabetic and Hypertensive Patients Attending Clinics in Port Moresby General Hospital? Pacific J. of Medical Sciences, 2008, Vol. 5, 22 ? 33. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Ilaisa S, Temple VJ, Saweri W, Lloyd A. ?Nutrient and Energy Intake of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Port Moresby General, Papua New Guinea: A 24-Hour Recall Study?. Med. Sci. Bull. Vol 4, 2007: 16 ? 26. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Oge R, Temple VJ, Vince J, Ripa P. ?Nutritional Status of Infants in the National Capital District of Papua New Guinea?. Med. Sci. Bull. Vol. 4, 2007: 33 ? 44. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Pamu GH, Temple VJ. ?Retrospective Assessment of Thyroid Function Tests Results Obtained in PMGH in 2004 and 2005?. Med. Sci. Bull. Vol 4, 2007: 45 ? 51. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Temple VJ. ?Progress towards elimination of IDD in PNG? International Council for Control of IDD. IDD Newsletter, Vol. 22, No. 4, Nov 2006; 11 ? 13.
- Temple VJ, Haindapa B, Turare R, Masta A and Amoa AB, Ripa P. ?Status of Iodine Nutrition in Pregnant and Lactating Women in National Capital District, Papua New Guinea? Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. Vol. 15 (4): 2006; 533 ? 537.
- Temple VJ, Mapira, P., Adeniyi, K. O. and Sims, P. ?Iodine deficiency in Papua New Guinea (Sub-clinical iodine deficiency and salt iodization in the highlands of Papua New Guinea)?. Journal of Public Health; Vol. 27 (1): 2005; 45 ? 48
- Saidu, Y. Bilbis, L.S., Shehu, R.A, Temple VJ, and R.A Umar. Some Kinetic Properties of Rhodanese in the liver of Gallus domesticus; Bull Sci Assoc of Nigeria; 26: 2005; 511 ? 518
- Temple VJ. ?Micronutrient Requirement in Persons Living with HIVAIDS: A Review. Med Sci Bulletin, Vol. 3, 2005: 14 ? 16. http://www.pacjmedsci.com/
- Temple VJ and Masta A. ?Zinc in Human Health?. PNG Med J: 47 (3 ? 4): 2004; 146 ? 158. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16862939.
- Tarfa FD, Obodozie O, Mshelia E, Ibrahim K, Temple VJ. ?Evaluation of phytochemical and antimicrobial properties of leaf extract of Tapinanthus sessilifolius (P. Beauv). Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, Vol. 42, 2004; 326 ? 329.
- Temple VJ. ?The Need for Vitamin A? Med Sci Bulletin, Vol. 2, 2004; 13 ? 15.
- Mapira, P, Temple VJ and Adeniyi, K. O. ?Assessing the nutritional status of children in Hella Region SHP, PNG. Medical Science Bulletin, Vol. 2, 2004; 5 ? 8.
- Haindapa B, Temple VJ, Turare R, Masta A. Amoa AB. ?Assessment of urinary iodine levels in women in NCD, PNG? Med Sci Bulletin, Vol 2, 2004; 8 ? 11.
- Shinoda N, Sullivan K, Tripp K, Erhardt J, Haynes B, Temple VJ. ?Relationship between anemia and biomarkers of inflammation in children